Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blogrimage Jour Sept : Guadeloupe

Day seven's country is Guadeloupe. If many of you are like me, you might be asking...where in the world is this country?! Well, if you look to the map on the left, you will see that it is located off the coast of Venezuela, in the Lesser Antilles Islands.

The reason I chose to research this country, is not just because "g" is the 7th letter in the alphabet, but because I had never heard of it, so I wanted to know more.

Seeing as this country is also an island, you can just imagine the beautiful sandy beaches and aqua blue water that surrounds this Nation. However, despite being located in the Caribbean sea, Guadeloupe is actually owned by France, and is considered the "overseas region of France" What is more interesting is that this island was discovered by Christopher Columbus, so I would have thought that if any nation was going to own this country, it would have been Spain. Nevertheless, that is a history lesson I don't really want to get into :)  

As I was searching for the flag of Guadeloupe I discovered they they have 3 different flags. One is french tricolored, the other is one proposed by the Union for the Liberation of Guadeloupe, and the third is the unofficial flag. I personally would vote for the unofficial flag, as it is very unique.

Well that is all for right now, I will be posting day 8 later today and then I will be caught up!

1 comment:

Followers