Sunday, March 20, 2011

Blogrimage day 5: Estonia

Today, is not day 5, but I since I didn't get a chance to write last night I decided to go ahead and research the country I missed. (I will catch up!) Estonia is in the Baltic region of Northern Europe. Because they are located in the Baltic region, Estonians are also known as Finnic People. The nations of Estonia only has 1.34 million people in the entire country, with about 1/3 of the people residing in the capital Tallinn.

Estonia is a mixture of old heritage and new technology. In fact, Estonia is listed as one of the top 10 digital cities of the world. A digital city is one where the community is connected via the Internet. 

There are several interesting facts that I learned about Estonia:
  • it's first, public Christmas tree in Estonia was placed in the old town square in Tallinn, in the year 1441 (50 years before Columbus came to America)
  • has the highest number of meteorite craters per land area.
  • gained independence from Soviet Union in the year 1991
Estonia looks like a beautiful country that I would one day like to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers